Use the checkbox or multi-select/multi-choice question type when you want to allow respondents to select more than one options from a set of possible responses.
Want to learn more about our question types? Enroll in our Question Types Overview course in the Lighthouse Academy!
- Click the Checkboxes Icon in the question menu or drag the icon into place on the survey.
- Type or paste your question into the Question field.
- Type answers into the Answer field, and click the + icon to add additional answer options, up to 15. Use copy/paste to automatically populate answer options.
- Hover over the answer number and click the X to delete an answer.
- Activate the Randomize checkbox to shuffle the answer orders for each respondent.
- Click the anchor icon to the right of an answer option to lock the option in place on the list, despite randomization.
Note: this question type requires at least 2 answer options.
Further customize your question view by adding Images.
- Deactivate the N/A box to remove an anchored, exclusive "None of the above" option from your survey.
Note: The N/A option is automatically turned on when you choose a Checkbox question. If respondents select N/A, they cannot select any other options.
- Customize the "None of the Above" text as needed.
- Select the Min required dropdown menu to adjust the minimum number of responses you would like respondents to choose before advancing to the next question.
- Select the Max allowed dropdown to adjust the number of maximum responses allowed per respondent.
- Select the Open Ended Response icon on the right side of an answer row to allow respondents to use their own words.
On the results page, data from Checkbox questions displays as a bar chart.
- Hover over the bars on the chart to see deeper statistics.
- Click the chart menu in the upper righthand corner of the answer window to visualize answers in a Column, Percent Column, Bar, or Percent Bar Chart.
- All response details are displayed beneath the chart.
Take a test drive on real-world results for this question type! Explore a live demo report.